Programme for Energy Efficiency in Buildings (PEEB)
Title: Programme for Energy Efficiency in Buildings (PEEB)
Commissioned by: Federal Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU)
Country: Mexico, Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia, Viet Nam
Lead executing agency: Morocco: Ministry of National Planning, Urban Planning, Housing and Urban Policy (MHPV), Mexico: Ministry of Energy (SENER), Senegal: Ministry for Environment and Sustainable Development (MEDD), Tunisia: National Agency for Energy Management (ANME), Viet Nam: Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MoNRE)
Overall term: 2018 to 2020
Transforming the building sector is essential to fight climate change. The global building floor area is expected to double by 2060. Most new buildings are being constructed in warmer and tropical climates with a high need for cooling. The construction and operation of buildings is responsible for 40 per cent of all energy-related carbon dioxide emissions and consumes 36 per cent of the global final energy. A rapid decarbonisation of the building sector is therefore needed to reach the 2-degree target set out in the Paris Agreement.
The building sector is being transformed by promoting sustainable building design and construction. This lowers the energy demand in buildings in a cost-effective manner and reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
The Programme for Energy Efficiency in Buildings (PEEB) works to improve the conditions for financing large-scale energy efficiency projects in the building sector. PEEB supports ambitious energy efficiency policies and climate targets (NDCs) for the building sector, and mobilises private investment. PEEB accompanies energy efficiency projects through active project preparation. The support enables public project developers and private actors to develop and implement ambitious energy-efficient building projects. In cooperation with development banks and other financial institutions, including the Agence Française de Développement (AFD), PEEB promotes large-scale financing for energy efficiency projects in the building sector.
PEEB is implemented by GIZ in cooperation with Agence Française de Développement and Agence de l’Environnement et de la Maitrise de l’Energie.
- Building sector analysis and identification of opportunities for climate targets and energy efficiency projects in all partner countries
- Development of sectoral networks with the private and public sector, such as hospitals, schools; Establishment of National Alliances for Buildings and Construction in Mexico and Tunisia together with the GlobalABC
- Advisory on energy efficiency policies, e.g. enforcement of energy efficiency building guidelines in Morocco and Tunisia; Support for the development of a regulation in Senegal
- Development of climate targets for the building sector, e.g. NDC roadmap for buildings in Mexico and establishment of an NDC coordination platform for buildings in Viet Nam
- Support for the private sector by advising project developers, e.g. in the hotel sector in Mexico and development of handbooks
- Trainings on financing for energy efficiency measures in Morocco, Mexico, Tunisia and Senegal; awareness-raising for actors in the health and education sector; study trip to Germany on financing mechanisms for a Vietnamese government delegation
- EUR 600 million financing pipeline identified with the Agence Française de Développement, including schools, hospitals and commercial buildings; identification of new construction projects in the private sector and a proposal for the NAMA Facility with financing partners in Morocco.
- International mobilisation together with the GlobalABC, for example at the UN climate summits, the International Conference on Climate Action (ICCA2019), and regional workshops for the Middle East and North Africa.